Saturday, April 10, 2010

Vientiane, Laos Saturday and Sunday 11, April 2010






April 11, about Saturday 10 and Sunday11

Sunday in Vientiane, Laos

Finishing up a lazy Saturday in Laos, I went to a local restaurant
and ordered "crispy noodles and fried vegetables for dinner. It was very good and filling
and cost 12,000 kip, ($1.42). I think it is my favorite meal.

I had had noodles for breakfast, but just couldn't do them for lunch, so I got a Hamburger from a Hamburger street vendor stand. A nice set up,
kinda like you see at County fairs and craft shows. AND it was a good
hamburger. I had to instruct them, however, to heat the bun on the grill
before preparing it! good burger needs a HOT toasted bun. It cost 15,000 kip which is
$1.74.

I didn't do much Saturday - lot of walking and looking, but the HEAT really just sapped the energy from me, and after I ate dinner, I was hoping I had enough steps left in me
to return to my AC room!

Made it to the room and was out at about 7:30 or 8:00, and wide awake at 5 this morning. One thing about traveling alone, there is plenty of time to sleep!

I couldn't do a Laotian breakfast this morning, and instead opted for my usual, eggs and toast and black coffee. I guess I have to be in a place that does not even offer American
breakfast .... before I switch! --- 2 hard fried eggs and a baguette cost 12,000 kip and a
cup of coffee cost 6,000 kip. A total of $2.14.

At 8:30 I walked to the church here that I had attended a wedding at on my last trip. On
the back row they had ear phones and interpreted into English. There were about 6 English
speaking visitors.

The church attendance was less than a 100. It was a good service, and was finished in a little less than 2 hours. I met several Americans, and a couple I
had met on last trip.

Tonight I am leaving Vientiane on a night V.I.P. sleeper bus. It is supposed to have AC ,and a toilet, and then berths instead of chairs. And someone is to pick me up at my hotel
about 7:30 this evening.

This bus cost me 180,000 kip, but I bought it from a travel agent,
so I guess I'm paying a little extra . It is a 9-hour bus trip and a AC hotel room all in one, so I figure the bus only cost 90,000, because my room last night cost 90,000.
180,000 kip is equal to $21.42.

Once again, with a poor memory of bad events in my life, I'm looking forward to a very
comfortable and pleasant trip down to PAKSE, in the southern part of Laos.

Folks ask me about how I handle long airplane trips. But the real question, how does one
handle the in country - waiting on a bus - time! ...... Today, after I go to the Internet
cafe, and upload this blog, check email, try to download Rush Limbaugh to my MP3 player,and
read all the news sources, I will just find a cool place to chill out, read my novel, work
Sudoku puzzles, study Laotian phrases. It is very hot outside - too hot to walk around -
plus I do not want to get all hot, sweaty and dirty before my nice bus trip.

About the photos, one of a young boy sleeping on street.One of two guys bending rebar to
build a multi-story building.... just one bend a time! the electrical wire photo is for all
the folks at McLean Engineering --- showing "how it can be done"!!!!!

so till I arrive in Pakse , Sa-Baa-Dee (good bye in Laos - also hello)

No comments:

Post a Comment