Saturday, April 17, 2010

April 178, 2010 - Pakse to Attapeu, laos




Travel to Attapeu.

This morning I left my hotel early and set out for the "southern bus" terminal, to catch a

bus to Attapeu. One bus was at 7 , I missed it before I left hotel, but the next was

leaving at 8:30.

I arrived at the bus terminal at 7:20 in time to catch the 7:00 bus!!

On the trip to the bus terminal, we of course stopped to fill up with fuel. This time I noticed the motor cycle had an alternate gas tank. A one liter plastic carton strapped to the roof supports of the umbrella over the passengers, and right at head level!! Look closely you can see the bottle.

Now that's a real safety thought provoking item. Forget, sitting on a bench on basically the front of

a car,with no seat belts, now we can add possible gas explosion, in case of and accident!!

.... but that was just a quick fleeting thought.

The bus to Attipeu was excellent. It had large windows that opened all the way! It had large seats, with actual cushion left in them, and it was a fan bus.

These are ceiling rotating fans that are very effective when the bus is not moving , or going slow in town.

I found out it was a fan bus when I cracked my head on the way back to my seat. I hollowed,

and everyone got a big kick out it! Just bringing joy to some!

I was so glad I had the big window , and it was under my control! No problems with sweating
and not getting a breeze today! NO SIR!

so,..... about an hour later, I had to pull my windbreaker out of my backpack! it was cold!!
The trip took almost 5 hours, 120 miles, and by the time we got to town, I had put the jacket
back up, ..... but it never did get HOT! ...... figures.

Attipeu is on a paved road. It is a secondary road - kinda like a county road, but not
quite as good. and it is 120 miles from Pakse, the large town I just came from.

It is a small town, with a few hotels, and is close to the area in Laos that received the
largest amount of bombings of any place in Laos. The Ho Chin Min Trail is about 30

kilometers from here, across the river, and then I'm not sure.

Tomorrow, I am going to try to go to PHU VONG, (the place of largest bombing) a small

village on the trail.


This is an area of many Hill Tribe villages.

oh yea, Got a nice room with Air conditioning, TV with HBO and news, and fan and bath attached. No Hot water - but even I do not need hot water here! Cheaper than Pakse, and nicer. 65,000 kip, or $7,50 or so.

had noodle soup for lunch, not sure if there is anything else in town to eat! Will find out shortly.

so --- type you after the trip!
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment