Thursday, April 15, 2010

April 16 -about the 14th and 15th

Wednesday I was in Champasek. A small village. There were several guesthouses,
but none that I saw had air conditioning. My guesthouse, The Kham Phouy Guesthouse, cost 30,000 kip a night, ($3.57) and had an overhead fan, attached bath and toilet, 2 nice windows with no screens, a big bed and a mosquito net.

It was VERY hot yesterday, after touring the temple site I just wanted to cool off and rest, but my room was just too hot, so I went to a restaurant that was on the Mekong River. It was hot there, but with help of a fan and a little river breeze, it was an improvement.

I ordered a fried meat and vegetable over rice dish, which looked and tasted like all the other dishes I have had. I hung out at the restaurant for an hour or so, but the chairs were not comfortable, so I went back to room. I just wanted to lay down!!!and rest a little!!!

It was hot - and outside my room was a garden with a couple of cement benches and tables, NOT comfortable either. So I pulled the curtains in my room, took a cold shower and did not dry off. Instead I laid the towel on the bed under the overhead fan, and just laid down wet and in my birthday suit. Now, that was cool and comfortable -- what I was looking for.

I did this a couple of times, and then the sun started going down, and the world began to cool off a little. Later in the evening I went back to the restaurant - the only one I could find - and had some kind of dish with fried noodles, an egg, peanuts and vegetables. It looked like all the other plates - but didn't taste as good, but it was so hot I didn't have much appetite.

I drank 7- 750 ml bottles of water, about 3- 1/2 liters. The night was okay - I got a good night's sleep. I opened the curtains, the windows, turned the fan on high, and slept with no cover, no t shirt, just my shorts, on top of the sheets, under the fan.

The next morning , up bright and early, and ready to catch something back to Pakse, I stood on the road in front of my guesthouse, and a taxi/truck/bus came by with a trip to Pakse for 20,000 kip ($2.50).

The trip back stayed on this side of the Mekong on a new road still under construction and very very dusty. We crossed the Mekong at Pakse.

I went straight back to the Lankham Hotel and was happy to pay 90,000 kip for an air-conditioned room!

That afternoon the streets filled with young people throwing water on everyone in the streets. Most of the people in the streets were young people going from place to place in pickup trucks getting water poured on them by the ones on the street. They were having a great time, and it went on til dark.

It will all start again this afternoon, if not before. This is the last day, but after two days of throwing water - I am interested to see how many come out again today.

No close up pictures because of fear of getting my camera drenched!

I plan to leave Pakse today and go to a small village. If I am away a few days, it is because there is no internet connection. --But I'll be back .
All for now from land of the New Year celebration! Water throwing!

No comments:

Post a Comment