Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sunday night -a VIP air conditioned sleeper bus.

I signed off yesterday - waiting and wondering about by upcoming bus trip

In India I had ridden a sleeper bus that had a full berth like
on a train.

In Thailand I have ridden a sleeper bus, and it just had large
seats (only three across instead of the usual 4) that laid
back almost level and were very comfortable and easy to get
in and out and spacious.

I was in full anticipation of what waited us on this trip, but
expected a good ride.

Well, it all worked out great! No disappointments, but
definitely one surprise! The truck that picked me up had
about 18 other travelers, mostly from Europe and at least
half of them couples.

When we got to the bus terminal it was a mad house - buses -
people - horns - lights - and lots and lots of more peoples.
This is the main holiday of the country.

Well, we all got off the truck and followed this man to
our bus. Then He started asking for our ticket, and when we
showed him our ticket, in no particular order, just as we
stood around him in all the confusion, and he gave us a new
ticket. Well, the new ticket had seat assignments
on them.

So when I got on the bus, and went up a curvy staircase to
the second floor, I noticed how big the berths were. I said
to myself and to anyone around me - "WOW, what a bed!!" and
everyone agreed, we were all excited. The bus was cold,
and had these large beds.

Then we found out the beds were for two people - not one!
Amazing how fast a large bed can get smaller! So then all
the couples started finding where their ticket was, and who
swap with who so couples would be together and single women
would be with women, and the same for us men! It was quite a
social mixer especially on the narrow aisle of a bus!
Everyone met everyone else and found out who belonged to who.

It was quite fun, and everyone had a good time finding their
bunks and swapping this bunk for that bunk and on and on.

My bunk mate was Blue, from England. We did fine, and he was
not bother to me, and I hope me none to him. We all got a
good night's sleep. It was cold, but we had a nice cotton
quilt and an okay pillow. I put on my socks and my
windbreaker and was very cozy in my 1/2 berth!!

Oh yea, no one had mentioned anything of this to any of us
when we purchased our tickets.

Arriving in Pakse this morning about 7;30, me and two other
travelers took a tut tut to town. The new bus stations here
are all the way out of town - (kinda like airports), and it
provides jobs for tut tut drivers). like the train station
at the border!)

It cost 10,000 kip each, about $1.25. The driver took us
to a guest house that I'm sure he gets a commission from,
and the other two stayed there. I went on downtown, to a
hotel whose restaurant was full, and people all around.
It reminds me of the old Hotel Colquitt in Moultrie -
maybe in it's hayday.

I got a room - full package - air conditoning, cable TV,
overhead fan, hot water,and bath and toilet. It cost
90,000 kip- ($10.71)the same as Vientiane but this has
a bath, and windows.

Oh yea - I heard it had been 105 degrees in Vientiane
this weekend. I did not see a thermometer but having
been there --- I believe it!!

After checking in and having a shower I came down to
the restaurant for breakfast, and almost everyone eating
were Asian, and they were all eating soup and noodles.
A couple of European women were eating granola and yogurt.
I just could NOT do it again!! I ordered my eggs, baguette,
and black coffee.

For lunch I did eat the soup and noodles and plate of
something green. Tomorrow -- I going to try again to
order the Laotian breakfast.
My breakfast cost almost
$2.00, my lunch was $1.50.

The picture is
of my lunch.



















The other two
pictures are
1.)
of a nicer internet
cafe in Vientiane,















2) and me and
Blue in our
bunk on
the bus.



It's hot here
also - don't
know how hot -
but it is
kinda melting
out in
the sun!



All from Pakse
for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment